Username Post: BLOG: How did it take this long for a con to get sued for selling bootlegs?
EllyStar 
New England Con Whore
EllyStar
Loc: Massachusetts
Reg: 06-24-07
03-05-13 01:00 PM - Post#12089    
    In response to hood1707

I feel like DVDs have a much higher level of bootleg wrongness than merchandise, unless the bootleg merchandise in question is a exact knockoff of existing, licensed stuff. DVDs are extremely easy to create, unlike merchandise. Plus I feel it may be easier for a vendor to be duped by bootleg merchandise, especially stuff like pillows or plushies, than DVDs (which may have been the case in Patrick's example, or the guy might have been lying). Unless it's of something that doesn't exist on DVD (which I have seen before, but it still doesn't make it legal or right), I think it's a really shady and jackass thing to do.

There isn't just fan stuff with costumes though. Especially at anime cons, you see a lot of fan made items in the artist alley. Plus Etsy as well. That's a whole other issue about copyright that makes my head spin just thinking about it. I think companies should lay off "fan" stuff, but how do you determine where that line is?
Elizabeth: Website and Podcast Writer
My Conventions

Edited by EllyStar on 03-05-13 01:01 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.
NOTE: You are viewing an individual Post. View the Entire Topic

FusionBB™ Version 2.2 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.096 seconds.   Total Queries: 17  
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 05:57 AM